I took my own advice… I settled for a quick 45 minute workout this morning:)
Last night, I made a whole new playlist to kind of bribe myself to get out of bed this morning and go to the gym. Like I said, for some random reason, this week it’s been pretty hard. I figured what better way than to go to the gym knowing you have a brand new playlist to listen to!!!
Bribes always work for me… it’s like new workout clothes. If I buy myself some, I will TOTALLY see you at the gym that day and the next!
Anyway, I wanted to share with you an AMAZING new recipe that Evan and I tried on Saturday. For some reason, early on in the day, I was thinking I wanted to make chili. There was no real reason for it, except it was pretty chilly outside and that’s just a great thing to make when it’s cold outside. I told Evan I wanted whatever recipe we used to have a ton of veggies in it.
So, I Googled “best chili recipes”… original, I know;) BUT, guess what came up first?!? Boilermaker Tailgate Chili!!! I’m like umm hello, this is the one we ABSOLUTELY HAVE to make. BOILER UP! I went to Purdue if you can’t tell;)
Here’s the recipe… SIDE NOTE: This is for a tailgate, people, definitely half the recipe if it’s for the fam:)
2 pounds ground beef
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 large white onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cubes beef bouillon
½ cup beer
¼ cup chili powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sugar
Fritos and Shredded Cheese for topping it off!
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat to cook sausage and ground beef until evenly browned. Drain excess grease.
- Make sure your pot is HUGE! We had to change twice;) It’s a lot of ingredients people!
- Pour chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Have somebody on the side dicing the onion, celery and green and red bell peppers.
- Add veggies.
- Add beer and bouillon… If you are a house divided between Miller and Bud, be sure to take care of the ingredients… Evan snuck in the Miller while I wasn’t looking. GROSS!
- Season the chili with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika and sugar.
- Stir like crazy.
- Cover and let simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Here is my advice… this takes longer to cook than just two hours. You definitely need to let it simmer for probably 5-6. We ate leftovers on Sunday for lunch and it tasted waaaaaaaaaay better… so, when cook time says 2 hrs, 30 minutes… it should really say… start early in the morning if you want this for dinner tonight. It will taste way better;)
- Add salt, pepper and chili powder if necessary after 2 hours.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
- Top with Fritos and shredded Cheddar cheese!
ENJOY!!! I mean, it HAS to be amazing, right?!? It’s BOILERMAKER CHILI!
Do you have any favorite chili recipes? I’d love to hear them and if you are willing to share, I am DEFINITELY willing to try!